Monday, May 2, 2011

Friendship

I think getting to know people consists of more than just talking to them. In fact, I think it's almost better getting to know people by doing things with them than by just talking to them.
For example, in my Irish Dance class, there is this girl who I'm friends with. For the first couple of months we hardly said a word to each other - we just danced together and smiled at each other. And for some reason she and I always wound up being partners in all of our dances. We found out each other's names by hearing our teacher call them out in roll call.
Finally, a few months into the school year, we started talking to each other. We said hi when we walked in, sat next to each other on the floor during our water breaks, and gave each other advice in the dance, such as holding our arms higher or moving in a certain way. She noticed my rosary bracelet and asked if I was Catholic. Turns out she is too.
Half-way through the year, my parents got to meet her. She said she'd help me find my earrings when I lost them. I let her borrow my sock glue. We were already such good friends, although we knew practically nothing about each other.
Just a week ago she found out I homeschool and have 7 siblings. Our friendship hasn't lessened.

While certain details and information about people's home/personal life do matter, most of those things are passing, and I think if you base your friendship off of those little things it won't be very strong. To really be friends with someone, you need to work with that person, play, rest, and pray with him. Talking is good too, of course, but I just don't think it's the only/best way to make a friendship grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment