Monday, May 16, 2011

The Eucharist

After the blessing he took the Lord's Body and beckoned to Bors to come forward. He obeyed, and knelt before the priest, who said to him:

"Bors, do you see what I am holding?"

"Yes indeed, Sir. I see that you are holding my Saviour and Redeemer under the guise of bread. I should not be looking on Him in this wise were it not that my eyes, being mortal clay, and thus unapt to discern the things of the spirit, do not permit my seeing Him any other way, but rather cloak His true appearance.

For I have no doubt that what I look on now is truly flesh and truly man and wholly God."

At these words he was overmastered by weeping, and the good man said to him:

"You would surely be insensate if you received so holy a thing as you describe, without manifesting your love and loyalty all the rest of your living days."

"Sir," affirmed Bors, "while I live He shall have my whole allegiance, and I will ever do as He commands."

Then the hermit gave him the host, and he received it with great devotion, and knew such joy and bliss that he thought no circumstance would have the power to gall him ever again.

2 comments:

  1. Bors is definitely my favorite knight of the round-table! Hail, Bors!

    – Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't he great?! Wait till you read the whole book though. everything in context is even better.

    ReplyDelete